Monday, October 24, 2011

20 Mile Recovery/Taper Run (?)

Oh joy, another freakin blogger in the world.. :P. Welcome to my inblogural post...

I've enjoyed reading so many friends blogs about running, life, food, etc that it's compelled me to get off my arse and join in.  Im not sure where this blog is gonna go, but you prolly shouldnt look for a consistent theme,  this mindstream is likely to meander a little, or alot, about my running adventures, food, friends, family, beer, biking, music, travelling, my dog, or whatever else seems at the moment worth immortalizing in words.  I also like to run with a camera so there will be lots of pics too.  Occasionally I even have a moment of clarity or perverse perspective on some mundane facet of life,  Ill try my best to remember those and write about 'em.  I hope you find my babbling interesting, or least amusing enough to check in once in a while.  Cheers friends.

On to it.  So what the hell is a recovery/taper run? A friend of mine coined that since there's been so many marathons on the calendar this year I'm never quite sure if a given run is recovery from the last race or tapering for the next one. Its a fun place to be, I like it.  My legs not so much.

This month the race schedule allowed me to squeeze one 20 miler long run in between Chicago Marathon 2 weeks ago and NYC Marathon 2 weeks from now.  Yesterdays 20 was a great run though the countryside (40 miles west of Chicago, it's the edge of civilization out here) on a beautiful fall day. My legs were feeling good so they needed to be punished, I pushed it and finished 20 under 3 hours for the first time ever,  2:57 and change,  8:52 pace  (disclaimer,  I took some breaks, isint that why there's a pause button on the Garmin?, but who's counting, pictures must be took'd.).  The last half mile home I carried 3 pints of beer, in my belly, (the neighbors were out in the garage with a keg and the medicine beckoned, Im weak that way).

Some pics from the run....



 

 

 

  Cheers!

Run like the police are chasing you. 
 


7 comments:

  1. I'm determined to be the first commenter on your first post! haha.

    can I just say how much I can't wait until the day I can say that 20 miles felt "great"???

    SO excited to see you've started a blog. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should be interesting. Looking forward to more of your ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start, Jim. Keep it up, but I REALLY need to see pictures of Lars...

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, thanks guys, ok Donna Ill be sure to get pics of Lars in here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! Awesome first post! Gorgeous pics!!!!

    Welcome to Bloggyland - you shall now be officially addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the heck .... do you live in a calendar?? It is all so perfect. Jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I got this whole comment thing figured out...testing, testing, 1,2,3.

    ReplyDelete