Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I Hate Bikes.

...ok not really.  I enjoy a long bike ride as much as anything, the beautiful passing scenery, quiet serenity pedaling through the countryside, wildlife frolicking, flocks of geese overhead, wind blowing through my hair....


Sometimes however, bikes are just a royal pain in the ass and I am eternally thankful my running shoes don't require tubes and air compressors.

2 rides in a row now the serenity was broken with the gnashing sound of an expensive alloy rim grinding on the pavement.  Really?, again?!?    Both times about 5 miles out.   First time no repair kit, so I ran back with my bike, no problem I'm a runner right?.  Except it was less than 3 days after running a hard personal record  finish time at the USAF Marathon in Dayton and my legs were thrashed. Suck it up cupcake, you're the looney with masochistic tendencies.  Fine, I survived. 

Today I head out with a couple friends for a quick 20 at lunch, but my bike has a flat when I take it out of the car. Really? Crap. Friend has a spare tube, YAYYY,  not crap. Quick change and we're off.  Awesome!  5 miles out,  flat!!!,  Not Awesome!.  I borrow friends little 6" emergency pump and bid them peace and a nice ride, pump up best I can and turn around to head back.  1/4 mile later that damn gnashing sound again, wank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank on the barbie size air pump again until my arm is numb, and Im off.  This ridiculous comedy continues every quarter mile until at one point I catch myself looking up at the heavens. Suck it up cupcake, you're the looney.... ya ya.  I made it back, of course,  and even managed to get a hell of an arm workout in, for a bike ride. 

Didn't take any pictures on this ride,  but here's a few from a great 70 miler a few weeks ago out to Shabbona.



 

 
    Does the corn get hot? 

Cheers!

Run like the police are chasing you. 
 




7 comments:

  1. You're really making me re-think this whole bike idea now...

    Wind blowing through your hair huh? HAHAHA! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wind in your hair...both of them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Run like the police are chasing you. That's all I took away from this blog post. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the barn photo!! I'm a sucker for an awesome photo. Not to bad on the self photo skills. ;)

    This is reason #144 why I don't yet have a bike. It's harder to maintain than my car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm petrified of riding bikes. IF I ever get one I want a cute cruiser bike with a basket and a bell. I'd totally run with the camera and take photos - but I don't have cool barns to see. I bet I could find some cows. Did you stop to pet them? I would. Pet them next time, please. Maybe give one a kiss on the nose - and get a photo of that for my amusement. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam, bikes arent usually this big of a pita. Something must be up with my rim.

    Come on Donna, 'Both'? I have at least 6, ok 4.

    EmZ, ya my self photo skillage rocks eh!

    Ronda, youre hilareous, Ill pet them, but their nose is a little goobery looking for any kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What'd you do to piss off the cycling gods? ;-)

    Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete